FAQ’s: UK Investor Visa
[toggle title=”What is the UK Investor visa?”]
The UK Investor visa allows a non-EU national making an investment of £1 million minimum into a UK enterprise to take advantage of a direct route to permanent residency for themselves and their immediate family – and there are fast track routes and incentives available depending on the level of investment.
[toggle title=”Who is this visa for? “]
The UK Investor visa is for those who wish to become a permanent resident in the UK and are able to invest a minimum of £1 million GBP in the UK.
[toggle title=”What are the benefits of this visa?”]
- You do not require employment to apply in this category
- Your application will be based on your ability to invest £1 million in the UK
- There is no English speaking requirement for investors
- The investment sum may be gifted, so long as the relevant legal evidence is provided.
- Unlike other visa categories, there is no maintenance requirement for this type of visa.
[toggle title=”What are the basic requirements?”]
- The applicant will be asked to provide evidence of funds to be shown through bank statements
- If gifted, an irrevocable memorandum of gift will need to be shown as proof
- At least 75% of the investment must be made into a UK regulated financial institution within 3 months of residency/ obtaining the visa, depending on circumstances.
- The applicant must demonstrate that the minimum 75% of the investment was maintained during the period of the visa.
[toggle title=”What differentiates the Investor visa from other categories?”]
- The UK Investor visa is different to similar UK visa categories because it does not require that you actively manage your chosen investment enterprise as a director, or that you undertake employment in the UK.
- Greater levels of investment into the UK, such as £5 million and £10 million, will be rewarded with a fast track to permanent residency and this is an exclusive feature of this visa category
- There is no English language or maintenance requirement for this category
[toggle title=”What are the steps involved in the process?”]
- We will send a client questionnaire for you to complete
- We provide you with a list of documents required by the UK Border Agency and supporting documents to prepare for submission
- Submit your application
- UK Border Agency will accept or deny your application
- Continuous residency period is met according to the level of investment – five years, three years or two years
- Apply for permanent residency
- Apply for citizenship after six years of legally residing in the UK.
[toggle title=”How do I qualify for the UK Investor visa?”]
To qualify for this category, you must simply provide evidence of funds at £1 million GBP or more, which have been legally obtained.
[toggle title=”Is this visa a route to Permanent Residency?”]
The short answer is, yes. The entry clearance period of residency for a UK Investor is a maximum of three years and four months, after which conditions will be checked. If met, then the following continuous residency periods (more than 180 days per year) must be abided by before applying for permanent residency:
The continuous residency period is five years:
- If you have your own capital to invest amounting to at least £1 million
- Or you own personal assets with a value of at least £2 million and you have at least £1 million under your control and disposable in the UK (this can be loaned by a regulated financial institution).
The continuous residency period is three years:
- If you have your own capital to invest amounting to at least £5 million
- Or you own personal assets with a value of at least £10 million and you have at least £5 million under your control and disposable in the UK.
The continuous residency period is two years
- If you have capital of your own amounting to at least £10 million
- Or you own personal assets with a value of at least £20 million and you have at least £10 million under your control and disposable in the UK.
[toggle title=”What is the processing time of the UK Investor Visa?”]
This will vary depending on the individual circumstances.
[toggle title=”When can I apply for UK Citizenship?”]
You may apply for UK citizenship after six years of residing in the UK legally.
[toggle title=”Will my school age children be able to attend a UK state school?”]
Yes – from age 5 to 18 your children will be able to attend state schools free of charge.
[toggle title=”Can the spouse of a UK Investor apply for permission to work?”]
A spouse of a UK Investor visa holder is eligible to work in the UK.
[toggle title=”Can I use the NHS without being charged?”]
You and your family will be able to access the NHS on the same basis as UK nationals as soon as the Tier 1 visa holder is employed in the UK.
[toggle title=”How do we help you with the process?”]
- Supplying a checklist for all documents to be submitted
- Confirmation of where documents must be submitted
- Streamlining supplementary documents
- Handling legal questions received from the authorities
- General advice/instruction during the application process
- Introductions to financial institutions for investment.